Here are some suggestions for accommodation in and around Dingle. Naturally you are free to book these or any other accommodation independently, but if you tell us your requirements we'll attempt to put you together with other participants and in many cases will be able to get you a cheaper rate that way.
*This page still under construction! more details to follow!*
- Nearest to the conference venue (200m) is the Blackberry Lodge Hostel. Rather close to the only roundabout in town but certainly handy.
- A little further away and right in the centre of town is the popular Grapevine Hostel. This is within staggering distance of the busiest pubs.
- 1km to the east of Dingle, handy for Slaidin and the mouth of the harbour, is the Ballintaggart Hostel, featuring a wide range of different types of rooms
- 2km out of town heading north on the road to Cuas/ Brandon you'll find the relaxed and informal Rainbow Hostel which boasts both mixed rooms and same sex rooms.
- 6km from Dingle, the other side of Ventry is the quietest and most rural location at the Ballybeag Hostel
You don't necessarily need to be put off the latter two by the distance even if you don't have a car, as they both run shuttle buses into town and you can also hire bicycles in town.
- We suggest you avoid the following which you will find in various guide books and on the internet:
Dingle Gate Hostel (nowhere near Dingle)
B&Bs and Guesthouses
There are no really bad B&Bs that we know of, but the location varies tremendously so here are some guidelines in that respect, which I hope will help you if choosing from a list online. Suggestions in each category are not meant to exclude other possibilities but are aimed at the lower end of the price bracket..
B&Bs in Dingle town: (walking distance to Skellig Hotel)
Naturally these are in a built environment and close to pubs, restaurants, shops etc. However there is not much through traffic after dark and Dingle is no metropolis so you will still get to sleep at night!
- Killary (Eileen Collins) - friendly small older B&B, conference price €35 pp sharing
- The Alpine (Paul O'Shea) - larger guest house, long established and well liked €45 pp sharing. 10% off for conference participants.
- Emlagh Lodge - modern purpose built guesthouse, superb position overlooking harbour and very close to our venue. €35 pp sharing
On the edge of town: (longish walk or easy bike ride to the Skellig)
'The Wood' is the main road just before Milltown on the west side of town. (There is not a tree left standing here, never mind a wood!) Here there is a row of swish, modern purpose-built B&Bs or 'Guest Houses', with views over the end of the harbour, and prices to match!
Just over Milltown bridge, however, there are a few older and perhaps more sympathetically positioned B&Bs or guesthouses along the west side of the Milltown river inlet. Of these we can recommend
- Clonmara (Michael and Blandina O'Connor), prices from €35 pp sharing, €50 single
With a bike or car
Just outside Dingle: often means 'B&B mile', the main road between Milltown and Cloosh, which consists entirely of large modern B&Bs. You should have a nice sea view, but that road has got very much busier in the 5-10 years since the houses were built. Conor Pass Road, NE of Dingle, is perhaps quieter but more uphill!
With a car
East of Dingle: generally regarded as not so attractive as the west. Most B&Bs are near to the main road through Annascaul and Lispole, and are not handy for Dingle. Overlooking the sea at Minard or Kinard, however, are some very scenic locations, although you will be 10km - 12km from Dingle.
Around Ventry: Ten minutes drive from the Skellig. All B&Bs here have very good views over Ventry Harbour. The tiny Ventry Post Office has a great range of foods and useful items so one doesn't have to go into Dingle if one doesn't want to, and Ventry also has a long, sandy and mostly clean beach.
Back West: Includes the most scenic and interesting locations, but it can be a half-hour's drive to town.
Too far away:
Anywhere in Inch, Castlemaine, Cloghane, Castlegregory, Camp.
Hotels and luxury guesthouses
- Dingle Skellig Hotel (0km). On the waterfront and somewhat separated both from town and from the inner harbour. Not a beautiful building, but the views from inside looking out are good!
Popular with families, features own small indoor pool and spa. Conference rates available: €70 (down from €75) pp sharing, single supplement waived for first five to book then €25.
- Benners Hotel (600m). Right in the middle of Main St. Some character remains in the older parts of the building despite frequent modernisations. Cosy bar. €62 pp sharing (3 nts), €25 single supplement.
- Pax Guesthouse, Upper John St (1km). Superb and peaceful position on a hillside overlooking the harbour. Watch Fungie while having your breakfast! A very high standard of facilities and service. €60 pp sharing, €10 single supplement.
- Greenmount, John St. (700m). Very handy for town yet a quiet position and high quality accommodation. Seems to attract celebrity guests. €50 pp sharing.
- Bamburys Guesthouse, Mail Road (200m). Close to main road out of town but back rooms would be quiet. High standard and always popular with visitors. €60 pp sharing.
NB prices are for information only and not guaranteed. Note that many websites have not updated for over a year....but the rates quoted above have been checked where possible and are believed to be correct.
Your choice is basically between 'holiday villages' and one-off owner-managed houses. The former are groups of 6-12 houses or apartments either in a little close or estate or in a row together. Most of these are in Dingle town and are let through agencies. They are popular with people who want the convenience of being within walking distance of the amenities and are usually well equipped. Individual houses are mostly bungalows in a more rural situation. They vary enormously in size and standard and are hard to find through agencies or on the internet.
One such place is Southbound Holiday Cottages
If you would like us to put you on a list in any of these categories, please contact us with your intended dates of stay and we'll try to negotiate a good rate for you whenever we have enough interest in each category. Tell us also if you'd like us to put you in touch with other participants with a view to sharing either a room or a house. There is no pressure to book at this stage as there is plenty of accommodation available, we aim to finalise arrangements at the beginning of March.